[Commotion-dev] Uplinks

Stephane stephane at shimaore.net
Wed Feb 2 00:36:00 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

Not sure where this would fit in the roadmap so I didn't attempt to
update anything on the website.

Couple thoughts:

- There's mention of GSM and LPFM on the frontpage as backbone / links
to the rest of the Internet. Since I've been working over the past few
days on modem access (including "modem callback") it would be
interesting to envision (landline) modem access as a third [...] option.

Refs on this topic (I haven't been involved directly with these folks,
I'm working this as an FDN project):

http://cryptoanarchy.org/wiki/Dialup_For_Egypt
http://cryptoanarchy.org/wiki/SIP_Software_Modem

The post that started our thinking on that topic:

http://blog.fdn.fr/post/2011/01/28/Censure-de-l-internet-en-%C3%89gypte-%3A-une-humble-action-de-FDN

- I think I had mentioned villagetelco[1] to Dan & Peter. The folks at
villagetelco have produced a nice piece of _open_ hardware[2] with WAN,
LAN, FXS port, low power, rugged...

Note: To connect to a residential line for modem access an FXO port
would be needed instead of an FXS port. But the changes for that
shouldn't be extremely extensive.

[1] http://www.villagetelco.org/
[2] http://www.villagetelco.org/products/

- An uplink doesn't have to be IP -- UUCP or BBS-type connections might
be better suited to "most of the time offline" uplinks. (I don't have
much insight here, though.)

That's it for now.
Stéphane