[Commotion-dev] OpenWRT trunk r33202 does PSK-encrypted adhoc on ar71xx

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Thu Aug 23 23:04:05 UTC 2012

Hi All,

Sharing some results from a couple weeks of surfing the choppy waters
of recent OpenWRT trunk: I have been able to get 2 UBNT ar71xx nodes
to mesh with PSK-encrypted adhoc, aka IBSS RSN.

You can even configure the encryption in /etc/config/wireless,
provided you use hostapd and wpa_supplicant packages instead of wpad
or wpad-mini.

Known so far:
- The meshconfig tool bundled w/ Commotion does not work at all,
likely due to significant changes made after trunk r31639 for netifd
support.  I unfortunately could not glean more info about this, since
nodes flashed w/ the commotionbase package atop r33202 trunk became
completely unresponsive.  I have a TTL/serial cable on order, to
hopefully learn more about this.
- Likewise, the freifunk-watchdog service (ffwatchd), as configured &
bundled w/ Commotion, doesn't seem to like an encrypted mesh.  I saw
it repeatedly restarting the wireless interfaces, so I removed that
pkg from the firmware images I was testing with.  I posted a query to
this list previously if anyone knows of documentation available for
ffwatchd.
- Although you can indeed specify "encryption psk" for the mesh VAP in
/etc/config/wireless, a bug with wpa_supplicant.sh causes that VAP to
lose its assigned IP address thereafter.  I had do "ifconfig wlan0
10.12.x.x" after bringing up the wireless to restore the IP address.
- "iw wlan0 station dump" suggests that nodes joining an encrypted
mesh do not get reliably "authorized," even when they are
"authenticated."  On the un-authorized node where I observed this, I
bringing its wlan0 down and then back up resolved this.
- My UBNT nodes were able to ping each other (even at 10ms intervals
using fping) OK for days, until a power blip reset them.

Unknown, so far:
- Whether this works for ath5k too.  Trunk r33202 does not appear to
boot at all on ath5k, although recent patches submitted to trunk do
explicitly mention IBSS RSN support for ath5k.
- What sort of speed penalty this imposes, or if the PSK encryption is
done in hardware or software on either platform.
- Whether ar71xx/ath5k driver will let you add more VAPs (encrypted or
not) to a physical interface already broadcasting an encrypted mesh.
- Whether hostapd-mini and wpa-supplicant-mini will correctly
configure IBSS RSN, too.

It looks like much thanks for getting IBSS RSN to a functional state
on Atheros chips should go to Antonio Quartulli, who is involved with
the BATMAN-based project http://open-mesh.org.

--
Ben West
http://gowasabi.net