[Commotion-dev] Commotion-OpenBTS-Serval live image

Dan Staples danstaples at opentechinstitute.org
Wed Dec 12 23:05:27 UTC 2012

Well I can just give you the summary of what I did:

 1. Do a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on a laptop (32-bit for
    better hardware compatibility).
 2. Enable main/restricted/universe/multiverse repositories
 3. apt-get update/dist-upgrade and then install dependencies: autoconf
    libtool libosip2-dev libortp-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev g++ sqlite3
    libsqlite3-dev erlang libreadline6-dev libboost-all-dev subversion
    git libxml2-dev
 4. Download source code into home directory:
     1. svn checkout http://svn.asterisk.org/svn/asterisk/branches/1.8
        asterisk-1.8
     2. svn co http://wush.net/svn/range/software/public openbts (or
        whatever version you like)
     3. git clone git://github.com/servalproject/serval-dna.git
     4. git clone git://github.com/servalproject/app_servaldna.git
     5. wget http://www.olsr.org/releases/0.6/olsrd-0.6.4.tar.bz2
 5. build and install OLSRd (including nameservice, jsoninfo, txtinfo
    plugins in lib/ directory); configure /etc/olsrd.conf as needed (I
    used Commotion-specific settings)
 6. build and install asterisk
 7. build serval-dna
 8. build and configure app_servaldna (following steps here:
    https://github.com/servalproject/serval-dna/blob/master/doc/OpenBts-setup.md)
 9. add the following to /etc/asterisk/extensions.conf:

        [phones]
        include => openbts

10. build, install, and configure OpenBTS
11. create /etc/rc.local script to start and configure everything on
    boot
    (https://code.commotionwireless.net/projects/commotion-openbts/repository/revisions/liveboot/entry/liveboot/rc.local)
12. rm ~/.bash_history and any other unnecessary customizations ;)
13. install remastersys and create a backup (do not use the "distro" option)
14. create bootable USB with the resulting .iso
15. profit

That's the process I used. Let me know if there are any other details
that would be helpful!

Dan

Dan Staples
Open Technology Institute