[Commotion-dev] wifis.org

Paul Gardner-Stephen paul at servalproject.org
Mon Dec 17 17:50:30 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 3:26 AM, Ben West <me at benwest.name> wrote:
> The underlying idea is to put a URL in the SSID, e.g. wifis.org/myiwifi .
> Commotion-OpenWRT I believe also does this by default, naming the adhoc mesh
> 'commotionwireless.net'.

We have been looking at this sort of thing with Serval, too.
I think having a URL is a great way to use SSIDs as free advertising,
and to help people learn about what is being offered.  I think it also
encourages people to connect, although I think we might want to think
about doing some sort of study to find out what makes people think an
SSID is worth (and ok to) try connecting to.  Maybe a student project
opportunity.  Would need ethics approval to run a survey. Hmmm....

Paul.