[Commotion-dev] Unifying Serval and Commotion Mesh

Josh King jking at chambana.net
Wed Dec 19 13:47:59 UTC 2012

In it's earliest incarnation, the Commotion firmware was meant to be interoperable with the R.O.B.I.N. and open-mesh.com firmware, which uses 5.0.0.0/8 by default, presumably because it was formerly unallocated. We've long since superseded any requirement to maintain that default interoperability at all costs, and I've always intended to switch to something else as the default. I know some of the Byzantium folks have suggested 44/8, an unallocated block for amateur radio.

stephane at shimaore.net wrote:

>> And just as a note, Commotion uses the 5.0.0.0/8 block for mesh
>> addresses. However, I'm not sure what this particular subnet was
>chosen.
>
>Maybe because it was freed at some time? It appears to be allocated to
>RIPE nowadays:
>http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space/ipv4-address-space.xml
>who has started allocating out of it. So it will conflict with actual,
>public IPs.
>S.

Josh King

*Sent from a mobile device; please excuse brevity, typos.*