[Commotion-dev] Unifying Serval and Commotion Mesh

Paul Gardner-Stephen paul at servalproject.org
Wed Dec 19 20:31:53 UTC 2012

Hi All,

>From a Serval perspective, we chose to stick with IPv4 for a few reasons:

1. IPv4 headers are smaller, which on limited bandwidth is always a
good thing, especially when you start passing around lots of addresses
to manage your topology.
2. At a global scale 64 bits of host address in IPv6 is actually a bit
marginal for avoiding collisions among randomly self-allocated
addresses.  This is more of a concern for networks consisting of very
mobile devices, such as phones.  Overall, it can probably be managed.
3. IPv6 adds overhead without actually solving some of the more
important problems, such as preventing address spoofing, really
avoiding address collisions, and allowing easy end-to-end encryption.
Our view is that a public-key based overlay is a better solution,
which is why we have created one.  We dealt with the long-address
problem by baking in address abbreviation, so that the shortest unique
prefix of each address is used, reducing overhead to sub-IPv4 levels
in many cases, and combined overlay+IPv4 overhead to less than IPv6
overhead.
4. IPv6 is not available on all devices we wish to support, e.g., some
Symbian phones, Windows Mobile phones, and very likely some Android
phones.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_IPv6_support_in_operating_systems.
5. We are creating digital packet radio interfaces for long-range
meshing that will have insufficient bandwidth to support IPv6
overhead.

Of course, for Serval the equation is a little different, because
routing traditional TCP/IP traffic is not our highest priority.

I should add that some of our team is more sympathetic to IPv6 than I
am, and that we don't see a problem with making use of IPv6 when it is
available, but, personally, I am somewhat reluctant to rely on it, and
harbor concerns about the increased overhead, at least unless some
sort of address abbreviation is used in the routing protocols (which
maybe it already is by now).

Paul.