[Commotion-dev] Working compiled images for atheros and ar71xx, including FONeras!

Ben West me at benwest.name
Thu Jun 28 09:42:05 UTC 2012

Howdy All,

Sorry if this is too late for the mesh deployment underway at AMC.

I just published a bunch of new images for ar71xx, atheros, and
stripped-down images for FONs.
 The stripped-down "atheros-ar2315-minimal" images for FON do not have the
luci web UI or the splash page, but they will mesh fine.  The un-stripped
atheros and ar71xx images do have luci and the splash page, both of which
worked OK in testing.

It took a while to get the stripped-down Commotion OpenWRT working reliably
for FON2100's.  It may just be the FONs I was testing with, but I found
they will spontaneously reboot (or just lock up) if they run out of free
RAM.

http://info.gowasabi.net/commotion-openwrt/openwrt/bin/
    |-- bin
        |-- ar71xx Full Commotion OpenWRT images for ar71xx nodes
        |-- atheros Slightly stripped-down Commotion OpenWRT images for
atheros nodes w/ 32MB RAM, e.g. OM1P, EOC-1650
        `-- atheros-ar2315-minimal Minimal Commotion OpenWRT images for
atheros AR2315 nodes w/ 16MB RAM (e.g. FON2100), no luci web UI

All of these images have a default root password r0ot56c0MM0t10N, so the
ar71xx nodes can be flashed remotely w/ the sysupgrade tool.  You should
still be able to SSH into each node's LAN port at IP 192.168.1.20, too.

I was even able to reflash a node remotely via the SSH console, although,
again, the sysupgrade tool won't with the atheros nodes, just ar71xx nodes.

--
Ben West
me at benwest.name