[Commotion-dev] network profiles in Mesh Tether

David Oliver david at olivercoady.com
Thu Jun 28 18:15:13 UTC 2012

Hans,

Thanks so much for this clarification.

I do think we're missing something, still, however.  We know that olsrd -
the actual daemon software - has many operational parameters.  It's a
problem, however, that we don't really have a good idea what modifying
those parameters means, and we don't have a good idea if or how modifying
such parameters will improve or ruin mesh network connectivity and
performance when mobile networks (and intermittent network users on mobile
devices) are involved.

What this implies to me is that even under the (future) circumstances where
we have an easier ability to discover and connect to mesh networks (which
your definition of the "profile" addresses), we do not yet know if, upon
connection, there are other settings/configurations necessary to optimize
performance for specific mesh situations.    Thus, unlike WiFi, there may
need to be two "layers" here: (a) connection and (b) optimizing performance.

When I wrote up the scenarios earlier on (and proposed seven profiles,
mostly just dreaming them up since we have no knowledge to support them), I
intended them to be separate from "network settings" (network connection
parameters).  Overall, though, my current feeling is that we simply lack
the proper knowledge to understand this second portion and we should just
leave it for the experimenters to discover for us.

Dave

David M. Oliver | david at olivercoady.com | http://olivercoady.com |
http://dmo.tel | @davidmoliver | +1 970 368 2366