[Commotion-dev] Use case for mobile + fixed wireless OLSR?

Ben West me at benwest.name
Tue May 8 18:15:41 UTC 2012

Hi All,

In lieu of Will Hawkins' recent recruitment for OTI mobile mesh
development (congrats, Will!), I am curious if anyone has given
thought to use cases where potential mobile devices with OLSR mesh
tether app would interoperate with fixed 802.11 hotspots running
OpenWRT/Commotion + OLSR.

That is, I personally work with meshes of fixed hotspots, and I do
understand many of the list members are envisioning meshes of perhaps
only mobile devices, e.g. for ad-hoc assemblies of people in public
plazas and the like.

Is there a particular, compelling use case to have both classes of
devices, mobile and fixed, participate in the same mesh?  E.g., is it
likely that a mostly mobile mesh might use one or two fixed hotspots
for convenient uplink to the Internet?  That is, besides letting the
mesh operate in conventional fashion, are there specific things one
could do to take advantage of the fixed hotspots (which one could
expect to have higher tx power, better rx sensitivity, and/or fast
wired uplink)?

Part of my motivation for asking is that I await a Republic Wireless
handset hopefully at some point this summer, and that phone's
proclivity to use 802.11 service over 3/4G seem to make it a natural
companion to Commotion.

--
Ben West
me at benwest.name