[Commotion-dev] Submitted DNS and configuration changes

Will Hawkins hawkinsw at opentechinstitute.org
Thu May 10 19:28:32 UTC 2012

Hello all!

I just wanted to send an update. I finished coding up some changes to
the OLSR mesh tether app that make it even more Commotion-compatible.

1. DNS: I added some code that will set a DNS server (Google's public
DNS, by default) while the user is connected to the mesh. There is a
configuration option (Advanced->Mesh) to change that value. I am going
to continue working on DNS "stuff" today and tomorrow. My goal is to get
the Android device to learn any name resolutions passed around in OLSR's
DNS plug-in.

2. Configuration: I changed some of the configuration screen
nomenclature and its semantics. Specifically, I changed the LAN Gateway
and LAN Netmask under Advanced->IPv4 options to properly reflect their
use for the mesh. I also added code so that the user can simply enter
the first quad of an IPv4 address and the client will generate the
remaining 3 based on the MAC address (this is how Commotion works for
OpenWRT devices). I changed the name of the entire configuration tab to
Mesh.

I hope that these are up-to-par and that they are helpful. Please let me
know if there are any changes that you want made so that they fit code
style, etc.

Talk to you soon!
Will