[Commotion-dev] DNS Update

Will Hawkins hawkinsw at opentechinstitute.org
Mon May 14 20:22:02 UTC 2012

Hello all!

I just wanted to give everyone an update on what's going on here: I am
working on adding capability to the client to handle DNS entries
distributed in the mesh (via olsr nameservice plugin). Because Android's
/etc/hosts file is on the readonly file system, simply telling olsrd to
write out an /etc/hosts file (like it would normally do on a *nix host)
does not work.

So, I cross-compiled a small (300k) DNS server that the app invokes when
the user connects to the mesh. This server answers queries by first
looking for an answer in an /etc/hosts-formatted file. If there are no
matches, the DNS server forwards the request.

In my testing it works fairly well. I am still integrating it into the
build but I wanted to give everyone an update.

Talk to you all soon!
Will