[Commotion-dev] convincing google to support ad-hoc mode

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Thu May 24 05:08:11 UTC 2012

I heard that this mode on Android will support only a very specific
protocol (don't recall its name) and will not be able to support
something like olsr without rooting. Do you know whether they have
changed their mind and plan to make something more universal?

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 7:06 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
<hans at guardianproject.info> wrote:

> There are some internal rumblings in Google about making Android support Ad-hoc mode natively.  I think we should support this effort as much as possible, since it'll make mesh on Android work a lot easier.  One concern in Google is whether the hardware universally supports ad-hoc mode, or whether Android would have to make special cases for the hardware that does not support ad-hoc mode.
>
> As far as I know, all wifi hardware that would be included in an Android phone will support ad-hoc mode.  Anyone have any info on this, whether contradicting or supporting this claim?
>
> .hc

Regards,
Alexander Chemeris.
CEO, Fairwaves LLC / ООО УмРадио