[Commotion-dev] convincing google to support ad-hoc mode

L. Aaron Kaplan aaron at lo-res.org
Fri May 25 21:30:13 UTC 2012

On May 25, 2012, at 8:07 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On May 24, 2012, at 10:25 AM, L. Aaron Kaplan wrote:
>

>> On May 24, 2012, at 2:39 PM, Sascha Meinrath wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps we should see about setting up a meeting with the Android development
>>> team management to ensure they understand the importance of ad hoc mode for the
>>> open source movement?
>>>
>> YES!!
>>
>> That would be a great contribution.
>>
>> Aaron.
>>

>> PS: while you are at it: please tell them that for good meshing we need the layer 2 parameters (RSSI, noise, SNR, biterror rate, etc.) as data readable from /proc or debugfs
>
> Are these not normally exposed in Android?

I don't know about Android specifically but in Linux there is a great need to have a uniform/standardized way to read out this information. Often enough, when/if you can get these values they are not comparable. Or for example one card will show signal strength but no noise value.

FYI:
Currently Henning is also implementing the DLEP draft (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-manet-dlep/) which aims at bringing radio layer information to the mesh router in a standardized way.