[Commotion-dev] FYI: Serval & OpenBTS integration

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 03:54:09 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 4:56 PM, Dan Staples
<danstaples at opentechinstitute.org> wrote:
> Thanks for the documentation on integrating Serval with OpenBTS. Here
> in our lab we're on our way to testing that out, using our Range 5150
> for the radio hardware. Our snag right now is that for some reason our
> OpenBTS build isn't talking to the Subscriber Registry db when a
> registration is made...anyone else experienced that?

There could be several reasons for that. Ones which come to my mind:

 1. Phone thinks that it's already registered and just does not
communicate with the BTS at all. Then there is not reason for the BTS
to contact with the Subscriber Registry. This may happen if you power
on a BTS soon enough after you powered it off - for a phone it looks
like BTS signal was lost and then re-appear, e.g. like you went to a
tunnel and came back. To force a phone to register after a BTS restart
is to change BTS's LAC. In that case a phone thinks it moved to
another Location Area and will send a Location Update Request (LUR).

 2. "SIP.Proxy.Registration" configuration parameter is not configured
properly in the OpenBTS installation.

Thus I recommend you to:
 * Double-check SIP.Proxy.Registration configuration parameter.
 * Run Wireshark and check for SIP traffic.
 * Run `tail -f <OpenBTS_logs>` and check whether there is any traffic
between the phone and the BTS when you expect it.

--
Regards,
Alexander Chemeris.