[Commotion-dev] ad-hoc in android

Teco Boot teco at inf-net.nl
Sat Oct 13 07:56:15 UTC 2012

Op 13 okt. 2012, om 06:00 heeft Jeremy Lakeman het volgende geschreven:

> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Hans of Guardian
> <hans at guardianproject.info> wrote:
>>
>> Another thing to add that we have working in MeshTether is the WifiConfig in Android space so that Android thinks it has a network connection, instead of telling Android that wifi is disabled.
>>
>> As an aside, how would you run OLSR or BATMAN without root?
>>

> I wouldn't.

The more we push ad hoc and MANET routing protocol, the better will have support for it. To be very optimistic, there will be no need for root anymore. Just privilege for routing updates. Maybe it is implemented in stock mods one day :-)

Related: a multi-homed MANET needs more than routing. With IPv4 and NAPT, traffic flows can flap over multiple NAPT devices. This kills  connections. The olsrd smartgateway provides tunnels to a selected border router and provides stable connections. Very useful. Improvements (multiple tunnels) are work in progress.
I have a rough design for a more straightforward solution based on IPv6: Border Router Discovery Protocol (BRDP). This provides multi-path capabilities in the mesh. Very useful for MPTCP. Traffic can use multiple links to providers and use those links that works fine automatically. IMHO a hard requirement for scenario's we have in mind.

Teco