[Commotion-dev] Bandwidth limiting on Commotion OpenWRT?

Ben West me at benwest.name
Tue Oct 16 16:26:56 UTC 2012

I use the qos-scripts and the corresponding Luci plugin pretty routinely to
throttle bandwidth used on both eth0 and wlan0.  I've found them to work
acceptably w/o appearing to hog lots of CPU on my Ubiquiti M5 radios.
 Also, effective QoS does require RAM, at least 32MB per node, ideally more
if you are wanting to throttle at rates above 10Mbit/s.

In effect, you can specify for qos-scripts maximum upload and download
bandwidth caps per interface.  However, you may need to do some testing to
determine which context for "upload" and "download" is assumed by
qos-scripts on each radio.  I.e., I believe it is different for gateway vs.
repeater node.  Also, qos-scripts comes with a bunch of default class
definitions (bulk, normal, express), to let you prioritize certain types of
traffic over others, although I've not played around with these classes
very much myself.

You can look /etc/config/qos (if you have qos-scripts package installed)
for a good idea.

More info:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/qos

Finally, do please note that this QoS implementation likely suffers from
the dreaded Bufferbloat problem which Jim Gettys, et al, are convincingly
claiming will soon kill the Internet beyond any hope of repair.  That is,
please be aware that enabling QoS under certain conditions, especially
where lots of streaming media is used, might just make things worse.

The bleeding-edge versions of OpenWRT, altho not yet Commotion, are now
using a bufferbloat fix called "CoDel," but I've yet to try it out myself.

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Andy Gunn <gunn at newamerica.net> wrote:

> Great - thanks Seamus.
>
> Does the QOS configuration actually limit the Bandwidth used, or does
> it just use the Download and Upload speeds to calculate the priority
> based on available bandwidth?
>

> On 10/16/2012 11:40 AM, Seamus Tuohy wrote:
> > Hey Andy,
> >
> > The QOS menu under Network allows you to choose upload and
> > download speed by interface. I will look into the code and see if I
> > can't whip up a quick bit of documentation on how to limit the
> > bandwidth shared.
> >
> > Seamus
> >
> > On 10/16/2012 11:15 AM, Andy Gunn wrote:
> >> ********* *BEGIN ENCRYPTED or SIGNED PART* *********
> >
> >> The bandwidth limits need to be imposed not on the clients
> >> connected to the Access Point, but on the eth0 Ethernet port
> >> that is connected to a router providing Internet access.
> >
> >> So, yes - it needs to throttle the node only if it is acting as a
> >>  gateway, and not on the AP but on the "plug" interface.
> >
> >> Not sure if I am explaining this well - does that make sense? -A
> >

> >> On 10/16/2012 11:10 AM, Jordan McCarthy wrote:
> >

> >> -- Andy Gunn Field Engineer, Open Technology Institute New
> >> America Foundation 202-596-3484 http://oti.newamerica.net
> >> ********** *END ENCRYPTED or SIGNED PART* **********
> >

> - --
>
> Andy Gunn
> Field Engineer, Open Technology Institute
> New America Foundation
> 202-596-3484
> http://oti.newamerica.net

Ben West