[Commotion-dev] Commotion download security

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Fri Oct 19 23:20:17 UTC 2012

This is a good idea for sure.  One thing would be to use SHA1 instead of MD5.
 Its only a little longer and still not cracked.  A PGP signature is good for
people who actually check these things.  For the PGP sig to be effective, the
downloads should be signed by a key that is signed by as many other keys as
possible so that people can find a chain of trust to that key.

For most people, they'll never check a hash or a signature.  One thing that is
not hard to setup and transparent to the user is to force HTTPS for the
downloads, and have a real, valid cert.

About the download page layout, I think that next to the binaries, there
should be the source code.  I don't think having olsrd plugins there would be
useful since as far as I know they are all distributed as part of olsrd
itself, and never outside of it.

.hc