[Commotion-dev] RPi & Commotion

The Doctor drwho at virtadpt.net
Mon Apr 22 18:05:16 UTC 2013

On 04/22/2013 09:47 AM, Dan Staples wrote:

> OLSR to allow them to mesh multi-hop. I also had them running from
> battery packs I got from Radio Shack :)

What kind of battery packs were you using for them?  What's their
discharge profile look like?

> a custom Commotion Raspbian image that you can put on an SD card
> and boot your RPi from.

A few things about building on top of Raspbian:

Raspbian/Wheezy is remarkably stable at this point in time.  Keep in
mind that even if you have the experimental repository turned on,
everything available will still be a couple of releases behind.  If
something goes wonky, you might want to look into a custom compile of
the package with a newer checkout.

Make Debian packages for your code and build a repository for them.
You won't be sorry.

AIDE and Blueprint are good for keeping track of the Debian-level
config files that you'll have to modify to make everything work
smoothly.  You'll have to reconfigure more than it seems at first scratch.

For what it's worth, we used the packaged version of olsrd in the
Wheezy repository (0.6.2-2.1) with the version we built for Byzantium
v0.3a (v0.6.4) and encountered no compatibility problems.  Your
olsrd.conf file Just Worked(tm) with it. :)

To free up compute cycles, turn off the X desktop.  You won't be sorry.

> As for wifi cards, I recommend any USB cards that use the
> ath9k_htc driver. My top choices for cards are:

These are what we got to work when we ported Byzantium to the RasPi:

https://github.com/Byzantium/ByzPi/wiki/ByzPi---Byzantium-on-Raspberry-Pi-Network-Hardware-Information

> I have only tested #1 with the RPi. I am worried about #4 working
> with the RPi, in terms of its power consumption. But in general,
> the

If the power consumption of a wireless interface gives you problems,
plug it into a powered USB hub.  We have a couple of setups in which
the RasPi and wireless device are plugged into (and thus powered by)
such a thing, and it makes for a neat development package.

- --
The Doctor [412/724/301/703] [ZS]
Developer, Project Byzantium: http://project-byzantium.org/

WWW: https://drwho.virtadpt.net/