[Commotion-dev] [OTI-Tech] LTS Testing Update

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Wed Apr 24 18:17:54 UTC 2013

The Freifunk watchdog package is actually a rather handy package, since it
will monitor any process you want (via periodic cronjob) and restart that
service if the active process disappears (aka crashes).  To my knowledge,
it doesn't directly start/stop any network interfaces.  But, ff-watchdog
does need to be configured to monitor the processes you care about, and to
not conflict with any other watchdog-style task.  That conflict may be
indirectly causing interfaces to go down or even olsrd to stop in absence
of a needed interface.

Its config file is /etc/config/freifunk-watchfog, and here is an example
config I've used (for node using coovachilli):

config process
    option process 'dropbear'
    option initscript '/etc/init.d/dropbear'

config process
    option process 'crond'
    option initscript '/etc/init.d/cron'

config process
    option process 'olsrd'
    option initscript '/etc/init.d/olsrd'

config process
    option process 'chilli'
    option initscript '/etc/init.d/coovachilli'

Are you sure you weren't having problems with the ff-gw-check package
instead?  I.e. un-installed that package at the same time as un-stinalling
ff-watchdog?  I think the gw-check package *will muck* with default routes
and possibly also restart active network interfaces if it can't get a
successful ping to freifunk.net or something.

--
Ben West
http://gowasabi.net
ben at gowasabi.net