[Commotion-dev] Setting masq & MTU values correctly with OLSRd SmartGateway

Dan Staples danstaples at opentechinstitute.org
Sun Aug 4 16:02:44 UTC 2013

On Sat 03 Aug 2013 10:08:56 PM EDT, Will Hawkins wrote:
> Ben,
>
> Thank you for sending this out to the list. Keep us updated on your
> progress. We will work through your recommendations on our end and see
> what comes of it. Thanks again!
>
> Will
>
> On 08/03/2013 08:38 PM, Ben West wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm emailing here in follow-up to a recent thread on commotion-discuss
>> about repeater nodes not reliably having their internet-bound traffic
>> routed.
>>
>> In particular, I was seeing my own repeater nodes, both 1-hop way and
>> especially 2-hops away, apparently losing their connection to the
>> Internet once the local OLSRd instance had inserted its tnl_* interface
>> (i.e. a few minutes after power up).  I'm highlighting the instance of a
>> node 2-hops away, since in practice that can be difficult to replicate.
>>
>> Below is the readme about the SmartGateway feature.  Do please note in
>> particular the recommendation to add an iptables rules to the gateway
>> node, clamping all packets leaving the mesh to the same MTU as what is
>> used by the OLSRd SmartGateway tunnels.
>>
>> http://svn.dd-wrt.com/browser/src/router/olsrd/README-Olsr-Extensions
>>
>> This seemed to resonate with a sporadic problem I'd been having with
>> repeater nodes occasionally not seeing their Internet-bound traffic
>> correctly routed, despite all routing tables appearing valid.  These
>> repeater nodes restored their Internet connection when I enabled the
>> 'mtu_fix' option on their local firewall.  But not consistently so,
>> making the problem very challenging to resolve.
>>
>> So, following the advice from the readme, I added this to
>> /etc/firewall.user on my gateway node (eth0 is its wired uplink):
>>
>> iptables -A FORWARD -o eth0 -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS
>> --set-mss 1480
>>
>> On the gateway node with wired WAN and LAN ports, in addition to the
>> mesh interface, I set these firewall zones in /etc/config/firewall:
>>
>> config zone
>>     option name 'mesh'
>>     option network 'mesh'
>>     option input 'ACCEPT'
>>     option output 'ACCEPT'
>>     option forward 'ACCEPT'
>>     option 'masq' '1'
>>
>> config zone
>>     option name 'wan'
>>     option output 'ACCEPT'
>>     option masq '1'
>>     option input 'DROP'
>>     option forward 'ACCEPT'
>>
>> config zone
>>     option input 'ACCEPT'
>>     option output 'ACCEPT'
>>     option forward 'ACCEPT'
>>     option name 'lan'
>>     option network 'lan'
>>
>> config forwarding
>>     option src 'mesh'
>>     option dest 'wan'
>>
>> config forwarding
>>     option src 'lan'
>>     option dest 'wan'
>>
>> config 'forwarding'
>>     option 'src' 'mesh'
> [...]

Would we be able to verify the MTU problem by doing packet captures
along the route from a repeater to a gateway, and checking the MTU of
packets that get through versus those that get dropped?

--
Dan Staples

Open Technology Institute
https://commotionwireless.net
OpenPGP key: http://disman.tl/pgp.asc
Fingerprint: 2480 095D 4B16 436F 35AB 7305 F670 74ED BD86 43A9