[Commotion-dev] Looking to start Tidepools deployment here in St. Louis

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Thu Aug 29 21:28:08 UTC 2013

Hello List!

I'm hoping to get a Tidepools deployment going at some point soon here in
St. Louis, ideally in tandem with a new mobile-friendly captive portal for
the mesh here (or, to be honest, a portal that is at minimum not
mobile-hostile).

This instance of Tidepools would be used to test out various use cases for
the "Sunflower" solar-powered wifi mesh concept described on this video
below.  In particular, I have a 1GHz CPU / 512MB box where Tidepools would
live initially, with the eventual hope of transitioning to a small embedded
PC like a Cubieboard or a MK808, so that everything could run on solar
power.
http://gowasabi.net/content/announcing-sunflower-mesh

And also possibly we could take advantage of the St. Louis transit
authority maybe maybe maybe soon making realtime bus location data
available to 3rd party integrators.

I see this mobile instance of Tidepools mentioned on the website, with a
couple apps:
https://rhiwifi.co/

Likewise, the github repo looks to be very busy!  Excellent work, Jonathan!
https://github.com/opentechinstitute/TidePools-Mobile

If the Redhook Tidepools instance mentioned above is a bit out of date, are
there perhaps any other live instances of Tidepools showing how the mobile
UI is working now?

--
Ben West
http://gowasabi.net