[Commotion-dev] Looking to start Tidepools deployment here in St. Louis

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Sat Aug 31 17:09:18 UTC 2013

Hi Seamus,

Glad to read!  May I then confirm there would be no problem with my pulling
the current state of Tidepools Mobile from the repo and trying it out
as-is?  That is, no problem besides it simply not working.

https://github.com/opentechinstitute/Tidepools-Mobile

It's understood this codebase is incomplete, and that it might kill a
kitten or eat all the food out of my fridge.  I wouldn't be submitting any
support requests.

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 4:34 PM, Seamus Tuohy <s2e at opentechinstitute.org>wrote:

> Hey Ben,
>
> There will be an updated implementation of Tidepools running at IS4CWN
> in Berlin. We are working on ti right now and can make sure to take some
> video/etc when it is complete.
>
> s2e
>

> On 08/29/2013 05:28 PM, Ben West wrote:
> > Hello List!
> >
> > I'm hoping to get a Tidepools deployment going at some point soon here in
> > St. Louis, ideally in tandem with a new mobile-friendly captive portal
> for
> > the mesh here (or, to be honest, a portal that is at minimum not
> > mobile-hostile).
> >
> > This instance of Tidepools would be used to test out various use cases
> for
> > the "Sunflower" solar-powered wifi mesh concept described on this video
> > below.  In particular, I have a 1GHz CPU / 512MB box where Tidepools
> would
> > live initially, with the eventual hope of transitioning to a small
> embedded
> > PC like a Cubieboard or a MK808, so that everything could run on solar
> > power.
> > http://gowasabi.net/content/announcing-sunflower-mesh
> >
> > And also possibly we could take advantage of the St. Louis transit
> > authority maybe maybe maybe soon making realtime bus location data
> > available to 3rd party integrators.
> >
> > I see this mobile instance of Tidepools mentioned on the website, with a
> > couple apps:
> > https://rhiwifi.co/
> >
> > Likewise, the github repo looks to be very busy!  Excellent work,
> Jonathan!
> > https://github.com/opentechinstitute/TidePools-Mobile
> >
> > If the Redhook Tidepools instance mentioned above is a bit out of date,
> are
> > there perhaps any other live instances of Tidepools showing how the
> mobile
> > UI is working now?

Ben West
http://gowasabi.net