[Commotion-dev] mitigate Bufferbloat?

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Mon Dec 2 16:50:44 UTC 2013

The casual research I'd done already checking out various CoDel
implementations, in addition to existing means of rate control, suggest
that they all hinge on the ability to define overall up / down bandwidth
values for the rate control algorithm to use as constraint.  This works
just fine for most wireline situations (e.g. DSL), as the actual line
bandwidth is often known to a good degree of precision.

Not so with wireless, where a given link's actual bandwidth will fluctuate
with external factors like noise.  Especially so for an AP talking to
multiple clients, where each client will have a particular rate they've
negotiated with the AP, and those rates will further fluctuate based on
interference and range.  Deploying rate control incorrectly in such
situations seems it could be ineffective at best, or even disruptive at
worst?

I hadn't yet found a CoDel recipe (or other rate control scheme) that
appeared able to accommodate variable link bandwidth.  Anyone else?
Posibly, one may be able to harness OLSR's new sgwdynspeed plugin for this
purpose?

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Dan Staples <
danstaples at opentechinstitute.org> wrote:

> We got a recommendation on the IRC today for avoiding bufferbloat on
> OpenWRT: http://blog.lxgr.net/posts/2013/01/28/my-openwrt-setup/. I
> don't have time to dig into this at the moment, but I would be curious
> if anyone else has experience with this.
>
> Dan
>
> --
> Dan Staples
>
> Open Technology Institute
> https://commotionwireless.net
> OpenPGP key: http://disman.tl/pgp.asc
> Fingerprint: 2480 095D 4B16 436F 35AB 7305 F670 74ED BD86 43A9

Ben West
http://gowasabi.net
ben at gowasabi.net
314-246-9434