[Commotion-dev] Serval Mesh Helper Device / ISM long-range meshing work

Paul Gardner-Stephen paul at servalproject.org
Thu Feb 7 20:23:08 UTC 2013

Hello,

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 12:42 AM, Seamus Tuohy <s2e at opentechinstitute.org> wrote:
> Hey Paul,
>
> This sounds great. I would be quite interested in seeing what kind of
> QOS and energy consumption you get running various types of traffic over
> this device. Having some clearer idea of the throughput, jitter, and
> delay would be a great starting point for conversations around use cases.

Our focus at present is on long-range communications, in particular
for Rhizome bundle-oriented traffic.  As such we have done nothing as
yet to minimise latency and jitter.  Nonetheless, MDP pings have been
as low as a few hundred milliseconds.

>From a Commotion perspective, I would imagine that some of the more
interesting use-cases that come immediately to mind include (all
sitting on top of Serval Rhizome):

1. Distribution of updates to Commotion project and related software
2. A Twitter-like mesh-based micro-blogging service (possibly with a
gateway to Twitter itself)
3. Distribution of either introduced or locally produced news/content
4. Delivery of voicemail and SMS traffic between commotion OpenBTS's
and mesh nodes

Essentially it is best to think of it as a courier service between
nodes, like an inter-campus mail service, rather than a bulk real-time
transport. Of course, in many instances it can do better than that,
but this perspective will, I think, help with the exploration of the
kind of service that it can enable.

Paul.