[Commotion-dev] Serval Mesh Helper Device / ISM long-range meshing work

Dan Staples danstaples at opentechinstitute.org
Fri Feb 8 15:26:17 UTC 2013

On 02/08/2013 09:25 AM, The Doctor wrote:
> Project Byzantium is considering a CouchApp called Toast for this
> purpose.  It's built on top of CouchDB, so we think it should be
> possible to distribute across arbitrary numbers of CouchDB nodes with
> a little hackery under the hood:
>
> - Avahi/mDNS to collect IP addresses of other nodes (or,
> alternatively, scrape the node's routing table for
> /^192\.168\.[0-9]*\.[1-9][0-9]?/
> - A shell script that runs every minute or two that pings the
> CouchApp's replication URI with those IP addresses.

I did this with MediaGrid, using Avahi and CouchDB, if it's at all
useful to Byzantium. Basically I have a cron script that queries the
Avahi cache, and creates bi-directional replication entries in the local
CouchDB for any new MediaGrid mDNS advertisements it sees. You can check
it out here:
https://github.com/danstaples/MediaGrid/blob/master/resources/mediagrid-discover

--
Dan Staples