[Commotion-dev] Serval Mesh Helper Device / ISM long-range meshing work

Paul Gardner-Stephen paul at servalproject.org
Fri Feb 8 19:40:11 UTC 2013

Hello,

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 12:55 AM, The Doctor <drwho at virtadpt.net> wrote:

> On 02/07/2013 03:23 PM, Paul Gardner-Stephen wrote:
>
>> 2. A Twitter-like mesh-based micro-blogging service (possibly with
>> a gateway to Twitter itself)
>
> Project Byzantium is considering a CouchApp called Toast for this
> purpose.  It's built on top of CouchDB, so we think it should be
> possible to distribute across arbitrary numbers of CouchDB nodes with
> a little hackery under the hood:
>
> - - Avahi/mDNS to collect IP addresses of other nodes (or,
> alternatively, scrape the node's routing table for
> /^192\.168\.[0-9]*\.[1-9][0-9]?/
> - - A shell script that runs every minute or two that pings the
> CouchApp's replication URI with those IP addresses.

Rhizome can let you avoid the scripted replication entirely, as once a
bundle is submitted to Rhizome, then the distribution/synchronisation
is an an automatic part of mesh functions.

The other nice thing for a twitter-type service is that you can grow a
bundle in an append-only mode, and (once we finish the code),
synchronisation occurs for only the added part among nodes that have
older (ie shorter) versions of the bundle.  In fact, this is how our
MeshMS (SMS-like) delay-tolerant short message service is implemented.

>> 3. Distribution of either introduced or locally produced
>> news/content
>
> It seems as if there are several ways of accomplishing this, from
> replicatable databases like CouchDB to custom apps that use DHTs to
> store-and-forward accomplished with UDP and IP multicasting (which is
> what Litter does).
>
>> Essentially it is best to think of it as a courier service between
>> nodes, like an inter-campus mail service, rather than a bulk
>> real-time
>
> We're treating each node like a dialup BBS in that respect.  Store
> local material, maintain a list of neighboring nodes, synchronize with
> neighboring nodes periodically to maintain a
> close-enough-for-government-work state when compared to those
> neighboring nodes.

See above, as Rhizome simplifies and generalises this.

It would be nice if we can make our solutions interoperable, if not
with technological commonality.

Paul.