[Commotion-dev] first test version of NetworkManager integration for GNU/Linux

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Thu Feb 14 19:21:14 UTC 2013

Hey all,

I got the core of my 'dispatcher script' NetworkManager integration working,
its called 'nm-dispatcher-olsrd' for now.  It uses the very simple
'dispatcher' script API to launch a python script in respond to network
changes (interface up/down), then that python script talks to NetworkManager
over dbus to get the whole picture. It then parses any profiles that are in
/etc/nm-dispatcher-olsrd and if a new wifi connection matches one of the
profiles, it sets up olsrd properly.

The profiles are the same format as the MethTether profile, and the
nm-dispatcher-olsrd Ubuntu packages I created include a profile for
commotionwireless.net/02:ca:ff:ee:ba:be/channel 5.  So if you are within range
of another commotionwireless.net node, you should just be able to install
nm-dispatcher-olsrd, click commotionwireless.net in the NetworkManager wifi
browser panel applet, then have working OLSR mesh!

To try this on Ubuntu/Mint and probably Debian, do:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:guardianproject/commotion
sudo apt-get install nm-dispatcher-olsrd

Here are the repos:

Ubuntu packages:
https://launchpad.net/~guardianproject/+archive/commotion

sources:
https://github.com/eighthave/nm-dispatcher-olsrd
https://github.com/eighthave/python-networkmanager
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyjavaproperties

Coming soon:
* a panel applet to represent the status of the mesh
* hopefully more automation of profiles

.hc