[Commotion-dev] olsrd plugin config for GNU/Linux and Mac OS X

Dan Staples danstaples at opentechinstitute.org
Tue Feb 19 17:09:32 UTC 2013

Yes, those both seem to be dynamically determined options that can't
exactly be hard-coded. One option could be to patch or customize the
namservice plugin so that it just uses the machine's hostname; that
would be simple to implement.

Can anyone shed some light on what we use p2pd for currently? I started
customizing p2pd for use with service advertisement and discovery, and
if there aren't any other uses for it, I think we should adopt the DNSSD
plugin I put together and drop p2pd. It's highly unlikely that DNSSD
will ever make its way into the official OLSRd code, but I don't see a
reason why we can't include from our own repo.

DNSSD uses the same plugin params as p2pd, but with some added options.
For service advertisement and discovery, we just need to capture any
outgoing mDNS traffic. I know that on Linux & OpenWRT, Avahi-daemon by
default sends outgoing advertisements on all local interfaces...so the
"NonOlsrIf" option could really be any non-mesh interface name. I'm not
sure how mDNS is implemented on Android, but the same principle applies:
NonOlsrIf should be set to a non-mesh interface used by mDNS.

If there's a way to determine this in a way that could be coded into the
DNSSD plugin, that might be a good way to go. Do you think that would be
possible? Without a way to do that, I suspect the conf file (with p2pd
or DNSSD) will have to be rewritten based on the network configuration
of the device.

On 02/19/2013 11:32 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> For the Mac OS X and GNU/Linux clients, I'm wondering how the olsrd.conf
> should be configured for the default commotionwireless.net profile.  dyn_gw
> only works on the Linux kernel, so that's out on Mac OS X.  arprefresh,
> nameservice, and p2pd seem to only be built on GNU/Linux and Android, so I
> guess they also only work with the Linux kernel.
>
> For GNU/Linux, there is then the question of how to configure nameservice and
> p2pd.  It looks like 'name' should be unique per-host:
>
> LoadPlugin "olsrd_nameservice.so.0.3"
> {
>         PlParam "name" "commotion-7814921"
>         PlParam "sighup-pid-file" "/var/run/dnsmasq.pid"
>         PlParam "suffix" ".mesh"
> }
>
> And with p2pd, it looks like NonOlsrIf needs to be updated based on the
> interface names of the machine that it is currently running on.  Is there a
> way to handle that in the olsrd.conf?  Otherwise I guess that the conf file
> will have to be rewritten based on the network devices on the installed machine.
>
> LoadPlugin "olsrd_p2pd.so.0.1.0"
> {
>         PlParam "NonOlsrIf" "eth0"
>         PlParam "P2pdTtl" "5"
>         PlParam "UdpDestPort" "224.0.0.251 5353"
> }
>
> .hc

Dan Staples

Open Technology Institute