[Commotion-dev] Serval Mesh Helper Device / ISM long-range meshing work

Paul Gardner-Stephen paul at servalproject.org
Sun Feb 24 05:00:24 UTC 2013

Hello Ben,

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 6:20 AM, Ben West <ben at gowasabi.net> wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> Thank you for your detailed response about the UBNT M900 units, and my
> apologies for the delay in posing follow-up comments questions.
>
> I've had off-and-on curiosity about radios like the M900 products, i.e.
> mount a Nanostation M2 and Nanostation Loco M900 on the same mast, with the
> Loco powered by the M2's secondary POE port and providing backhaul for NLOS
> situations.
>
> I am assuming the 915MHz radios have better ability to handle NLOS than
> 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz radios.  That is, in a environment where you can't mount
> radios very high above the ground (10-15m max) and where there is lots of
> ground clutter (trees, buildings), would the M900 perform better?  This is
> the very benefit being touted for the nascent 700MHz TV White Space radios
> here in the US, and so I'm curious if the 915MHz band might also have some
> of that same inherent benefit over the GHz ISM bands, although to a lesser
> degree.

Talking with one of the radio guys here at KiwiEx:

1. 700MHz, 915MHz, 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz bands will all be primarily LOS.
2. Lower frequencies perform better than high frequencies, but 700MHz
is still too high to get real bending.  You need sub 50MHz or so to
get serious bending.
3. The performance difference between 700MHz & 915MHz will not be
great, for equivalent power.
4. The performance of <1GHz vs >2GHz in the face of ground clutter
will potentially be significant due to the difference in wave length.
5. Power/antennae will always make a difference.

> Nevertheless, casual snooping around forum.ubnt.com suggests that the
> maximum real throughput anyone is getting from the M900 radios in P2P
> installations (using stock firmware) is only the order of 10Mbit/s.

Yes, data rates tend to be much lower, in part due to the licensing regulations.
However, for carefully thought out networks (and this does not
necessarily mean IP networks), then even a low bit rate link can be
useful.  For example, we are pushing data over links with effective
link speeds of about 48kbits.

> Finally, addressing your comment below, I'm not sure the M900 units would
> have that much higher power consumption compared to their M2 and M5
> brethren.  Even 1Watt TX power is almost an order of magnitude less than the
> AP's overall power consumption.  Indeed, UBNT claims 6.5W max power for the
> Loco M900 compared to 5.5W for the Loco M2/M5.

Our 915MHz radios consume 4W @ 1W TX, but of course the transmit duty
cycle will be <=50%, so 2W is the realistic maximum average
consumption.  A small WiFi router like the WR703N consumes about 0.3W
by our estimates.  With power scaling, we expect average power
consumption <1W, and possibly around 0.4W -- low enough to run from a
mobile-phone sized package for a couple of days or so.

Paul.