[Commotion-dev] SPAN Apps Published to Google Play

stoker mistr.stoker at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 18:08:29 UTC 2013

Hi Teco,

The Manet Manager app has an integrated Manet Service that lets other
apps configure the network through an API call. Another app can create
a ManetConfig object, set all of the parameters, and pass it down to
the service. It's optional. A user can also configure the mesh through
the Manet Manager UI.

I understand your use of scripts. Under the hood both the Manet
Manager and Serval Mesh apps use edify scripts to detect devices and
configure them for ad-hoc mode. The apps execute the edify scripts in
a native process. The edify scripts provide some additional Android
functions versus shell scripts, such as loading/unloading the wifi
module. When the Manet Manager needs to execute other native commands
with elevated privileges (like starting olsrd) it writes those
commands to a script on the fly and executes the script with su.

Creating a set of scripts and limiting their access to the Manet
Manager / Serval Mesh app in a custom ROM is an interesting idea.
We've thought about creating a ROM where the Manet Manager would be a
system app and therefore have advanced privileges and not be randomly
killed off by the performance manager.

I highly encourage updating / branching CyanogenMod. Certain devices
require certain modifications to enable wext support and enable ad-hoc
mode. At this time my team doesn't have a large enough developer base
to make custom modifications to each CyanogenMod kernel, so it's a
task we haven't addressed. Maybe it would be best to select one device
at first and go from there? If that's the case, I support choosing the
Galaxy Nexus or Nexus 7.

- stoker