[Commotion-dev] SPAN Apps Published to Google Play

Teco Boot teco at inf-net.nl
Tue Jan 22 21:32:47 UTC 2013

Op 22 jan. 2013, om 22:04 heeft Paul Gardner-Stephen het volgende geschreven:

/skipped/

on RFM23BP:

> In principle it should be possible to run OLSRd or similar over the
> long range mesh, although the limited bandwidth would not be very nice
> for IP-based applications.  The concept has really been designed with
> MDP, VoMP and Rhizome in mind, that can tolerate low-bandwidth
> situations.
>
> But back to OLSRd, that should not be a big problem, provided that you
> can reduce the heart rate from the typical 1Hz - 2Hz to, say, 0.01Hz -
> 0.05Hz, which should be possible because of the 16x - 30x range
> increase, which means that nodes should move in and out of range 16x -
> 30x more slowly.  In fact, node transit times may in fact average more
> than 16x - 30x for a variety of reasons.

With OLSR/OLSRv2, it is not possible to set the update rate on a link.
The originator of for example TC messages defines the rate. If it is
a higher frequency, e.g. mains powered router on high rate links, a next
hop link faces this high rate.

> Really the biggest challenge to carrying IP traffic over our
> long-range-mesh concept is that it will not appear to the OS as a
> network interface -- the network functions will be provided solely as
> part of the Serval Overlay Mesh functions of the Serval Daemon.  Thus
> you would need a TCP to MDP tunnel/socks-proxy type thing to
> encapsulate the IP packets.

Yes, routing at middleware layer or proxy.
I assume these links are fall back. That would be try 1st end-to-end IP,
and fall back to these non-IP links when no IP path is available.

Teco