[Commotion-dev] LibraryBox: filesharing and mesh

Joshua Breitbart breitbart at opentechinstitute.org
Sun Jul 28 00:59:32 UTC 2013

On 7/27/13 7:49 PM, Chris Ritzo wrote:
> On Fri 26 Jul 2013 09:36:23 PM EDT, Seamus Tuohy wrote:

>>> I met Jason Griffey who is the developer of LibraryBox. One of his
>>> features for the next version is "mesh networking". I'm wondering if the
>>> work folks have done on "appropriate box" would be useful to share.
>>>
>> The appropriate box was also inspired by David Darts pirate box (which
>> this is a fork of). It looks like he still uses python in his
>> implementation. We decided to package the features we wanted in a LuCI
>> package to save room. I would be interested in a conversation to see
>> where he is going with library box, and possibly learn from each others
>> explorations in this arena. It might be worth reaching out.
>>
>> s2e
>>
> I emailed him last week but no response yet.
>
> --
> Chris Ritzo
> Technologist, Open Technology Institute
> New America Foundation

Would it work to plug one of these into a Commotion node and enter it's info into the portal to have it as an application on the network?

On a different note, when Josh and I did some needs assessment for a LAN library service for 48217, I originally thought of it as a digital service for digital versions of books, kind of like how this LibraryBox sounds.

Josh and Dr. Leonard  determined an important need for a library app to help the community track physical books circulating locally. For example, this would address the Reading Corner's need to encourage people to discuss and pass on the analog books it gives away to children and their families in 48217.

This makes more sense in neighborhoods with low broadband adoption rates, of course. In neighborhoods where most of the media is already digital, then there would be greater need for an all digital library app.

Josh