[Commotion-dev] Custom Commotion images for Red Hook

Dan Staples danstaples at opentechinstitute.org
Tue Jun 4 22:26:31 UTC 2013

I just finished putting together custom Commotion-OpenWRT DR1 images for
the Red Hook network. These images have the following features:

* Upon flashing the new image, a wireless access point and an
ad-hoc/mesh interface are both brought up by default
* The mesh interface will keep the same 5.x.x.x IP address it had before
flashing, and encryption is turned off so it will mesh with other PR3 nodes
* The default access point has the SSID "RHIwifi"
* n2n VPN is turned on, and will connect to vpn.commotionwireless.net,
allowing for remote troubleshooting

Once you flash the node, you will need to connect to its web interface
to set the admin password and/or complete the Quick Start wizard. Be
mindful that completing the Quick Start will *turn on encryption* on the
mesh interface, so that it will *no longer mesh with PR3 nodes*. You can
set the admin password without completing the Quick Start.

The images can be found here (I wasn't able to upload them to Redmine):
http://wirelesssummit.org:8000/

For the developers, here are the additions I made:
https://github.com/opentechinstitute/commotion-openwrt/commit/95739178f0f3ca6c2986d785d5c6393a13652ddd.
In the commit message, I reference two fixes that are also required for
the image to work, one for commotiond, and one for quick-start.

Here's a rundown of how I tested them:

1. I had two nodes, A and B, that both had PR3. I connected to A's
access point.
2. I opened my browser and went to B's 5.x.x.x address to get to the web
interface.
3. A captive portaled me, so I clicked "accept" and it redirected me to
commotionwireless.net
4. I tried to go to B's 5.x.x.x address again, and this time it worked.
5. I went to System->Backup/Flash Firmware
6. At the bottom of the page, *I *unchecked* "Keep settings"* (this is
important!!!) and then uploaded the proper image, and flashed the node.
7. After a few minutes, I was able to go to B's web interface at the
same IP address, while still connected through A's access point.
8. I then completed B's Quick Start wizard
9. I repeated the same process for A, and after all was said and done,
they were both upgraded to DR1, and using an encrypted mesh.

I'll be up in Red Hook later this week to help with upgrades, but wanted
to document this for everyone's benefit.

cheers,
Dan

--
Dan Staples