[Commotion-dev] QOS, Commotion, and Tomato's

Seamus Tuohy s2e at opentechinstitute.org
Fri Jun 7 13:08:04 UTC 2013

Hello All,

I dropped development on a user interfacefor the QOS work a few weeks
ago and I wanted to give an update in case anyone wants to take it on in
the future.

Looking at various interfaces I think that modifying the Tomato
interface for QOS http://www.easytomato.org/features/scheduled-rules/,
which is based on the Toastman version of Tomato
http://linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/toastman-releases.36106/, is
the best option for implementing QOS on Commotion. It is currently built
for DD-Wrt, but looking at the scripts it mainly creates TC files, and
as such, would be an easy enough lift to move over to OpenWRT and LuCI.
Though, there will be some extra work fiddling with multiple zone rules.

Below is some useful info from William Dixon at Easy Tomato that I
thought would be useful to append to this if anyone wants to continue
this work.

"One of the really hard parts of this is to automatically figure out
your connection speed without constantly blasting huge amounts of data
over the network (you need your speed for QoS settings and they can
fluctuate a lot during a day).  There are a few ways to do it, but its a
lot of work, but really needs to a grad research project.  We were
hoping research group at GaTech would do it for us, but that's looking
less likely.

This is
long<http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/using-qos-tutorial-and-discussion.28349/>,
but a very good overview of how QOS stuff works.  It takes a LOT of
fiddling to get it really sail (and more dangerously, some
counterintuitive settings), but once it does, it's awesome!  We got a
hospital with 100 computers to go from website timeouts to skype calls
with a single router!"

s2e