[Commotion-dev] QOS, Commotion, and Tomato's

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Fri Jun 7 17:11:33 UTC 2013

Is the thinking here along the lines of building UI elements on top of the
QOS implementation already provided via qos-scripts and luci-apps-qos?  Or
an entirely new OOS implementation?

If you're looking at an entirely new OOS implementation, a possible
difficulty is that OpenWRT AA has adopted bleeding edge kernel versions
obsolete certain methods typical to older QOS implementations.  Most
recently in a thread on this list, the departure of IMQ from the kernel
layer rendered the bandwidth throttling features of the nodogsplash captive
portal inoperative.

Do you know what kernel version EasyTomato is bundling?  I believe Tomato
itself is still wedded to kernel v2.6 (or older?) and unfortunately fully
obsolete for the topic at hand.

Besides all that, it may just be simplest to encourage the end user to
input their overall Up/Down bandwidth values into any QOS admin UI form,
rather than having the node itself try to determine that.  It could be a
basic step like "connect your laptop directly to your Internet connection
and run speedtest.net a few times ..."

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 8:08 AM, Seamus Tuohy <s2e at opentechinstitute.org>wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I dropped development on a user interfacefor the QOS work a few weeks
> ago and I wanted to give an update in case anyone wants to take it on in
> the future.
>
> Looking at various interfaces I think that modifying the Tomato
> interface for QOS http://www.easytomato.org/features/scheduled-rules/,
> which is based on the Toastman version of Tomato
> http://linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/toastman-releases.36106/, is
> the best option for implementing QOS on Commotion. It is currently built
> for DD-Wrt, but looking at the scripts it mainly creates TC files, and
> as such, would be an easy enough lift to move over to OpenWRT and LuCI.
> Though, there will be some extra work fiddling with multiple zone rules.
>
> Below is some useful info from William Dixon at Easy Tomato that I
> thought would be useful to append to this if anyone wants to continue
> this work.
>
> "One of the really hard parts of this is to automatically figure out
> your connection speed without constantly blasting huge amounts of data
> over the network (you need your speed for QoS settings and they can
> fluctuate a lot during a day).  There are a few ways to do it, but its a
> lot of work, but really needs to a grad research project.  We were
> hoping research group at GaTech would do it for us, but that's looking
> less likely.
>
> This is
> long<
> http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/using-qos-tutorial-and-discussion.28349/
> >,
> but a very good overview of how QOS stuff works.  It takes a LOT of
> fiddling to get it really sail (and more dangerously, some
> counterintuitive settings), but once it does, it's awesome!  We got a
> hospital with 100 computers to go from website timeouts to skype calls
> with a single router!"
>

> s2e

Ben West
http://gowasabi.net