[Commotion-dev] QOS, Commotion, and Tomato's

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Fri Jun 7 18:58:23 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 1:34 PM, Will Hawkins <hawkinsw at opentechinstitute.org
> wrote:

> On 06/07/2013 01:11 PM, Ben West wrote:
>
>> Is the thinking here along the lines of building UI elements on top of
>> the QOS implementation already provided via qos-scripts and
>> luci-apps-qos?  Or an entirely new OOS implementation?
>>
>> If you're looking at an entirely new OOS implementation, a possible
>> difficulty is that OpenWRT AA has adopted bleeding edge kernel versions
>> obsolete certain methods typical to older QOS implementations.  Most
>> recently in a thread on this list, the departure of IMQ from the kernel
>> layer rendered the bandwidth throttling features of the nodogsplash
>> captive portal inoperative.
>>

> Would you mind sending a link to any information you have about IMQ
> inclusion/removal from the kernel? I'm just curious is all!

Here is what I've found about it.  IMQ no longer exists in Attitude
Adjustment or trunk, to my understanding.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/qos
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=28947
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/packet.scheduler/packet.scheduler?s[]=imq#required.packages

The actual changeset removing imq:
https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/25641/trunk

Preferred replacement implementations should use IFB:
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/ifb

Ben West
http://gowasabi.net
ben at gowasabi.net