[Commotion-dev] Possible hostapd / IBSS-RSN regression on OpenWRT AA r36682+

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Mon Jun 17 17:58:02 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I'm away from home and not able to easily test this hypothesis, but I see
the recent hostapd update to AA includes 802.11r functionality:
https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/36533

802.11r, which is now implemented in full hostapd package (as opposed to
hostapd-mini), looks rather useful:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11r-2008

While a regression is indeed still possible, I am actually curious if this
hostapd update just means that nodes running r36682+ will not do IBSS-RSN
encryption with nodes running r36681 and earlier.  Not necessarily that
IBSS-RSN fully broken in r36682+.

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 10:08 AM, Will Hawkins <
hawkinsw at opentechinstitute.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the note, Ben. We will start investigating this and see what
> the problem is.
>
> Will
>
> On 06/12/2013 07:40 AM, Dan Staples wrote:
> > Thanks for the heads up on this! Did you try this with Commotion or
> > stock AA? Not that I can see it making any difference, but I'm just
> curious.
> >
> > On 06/12/2013 12:14 AM, Ben West wrote:
> >> Yep, I can confirm that rolling back to Attitude Adjustment r36681 and
> >> recompiling restored IBSS-RSN adhoc encryption.
> >>
> >> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 3:23 PM, Ben West <ben at gowasabi.net
> >> <mailto:ben at gowasabi.net>> wrote:
> >>
> >>     I recompiled some of my firmware stacks to the most current AA
> >>     version, and !shazaam! the IBSS-RSN encrypted adhoc stopped
> >>     working.  This didn't occur with the Commotion OpenWRT firmware,
> >>     but the firmware I observed this on is 90% similar.
> >>
> >>     I think this is the offending changeset:
> >>
> https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/36682/branches/attitude_adjustment/package/hostapd
> >>
> >>     AA r36608 is known to work fine.
> >>
> >>     Note that I use the full hostapd and wpa_supplicant packages for
> >>     encrypted adhoc.  I believe Commotion OpenWRT does the same.
> >>
> >>     --
> >>     Ben West
> >>     http://gowasabi.net
> >>     ben at gowasabi.net <mailto:ben at gowasabi.net>