[Commotion-dev] Strange channel selection behavior

Preston Rhea prestonrhea at opentechinstitute.org
Tue Jun 18 22:08:32 UTC 2013

Flashing DR1.1 and DR1.1+ (unofficial name) in anticipation of the AMC
MagicNet construction tomorrow and Thursday, we experienced issues with
changing the wireless channel off of 5. We changed it to 11, saved and
applied, and although the menu records the channel as changed, Wi-Fi
analyzer and iwconfig record it as still set to 5.

Will and Dan's deeper examination reveal that the node, upon bringing up
its wireless interface, will always scan channels to see if there is a mesh
to join, and it will join that mesh and set its channel to that mesh's
channel regardless of the choice the user made. Thus far, it seems the
workaround is to bring up the first node in a new mesh in the absence of
any other mesh network, set its channel to the channel you want, then bring
up the other nodes in its presence.

--
Preston Rhea
Program Associate, Open Technology Institute