[Commotion-dev] Problem create/join adhoc network

Matteo matteo.danieletto at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 04:38:21 UTC 2013

Hi Hans,
I just found this email among the really huge heap of email I receive
thanks a lot for the response. Now I will try test and report :)

Moreover I found a way to set up an ad hoc network among Samsung tab2 7.0 model P6210 with cyanogenmod 10.1
So kernel 3.0.15 and Android 4.2.1

The easiest way was to bypass wpa supplicant so I compiled and installed iwconfig.
With iwconfig I could created  an adhoc network in a standard way:

iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc essid matteo

I tried the same solution with samsung 10.1 p5113 but it was impossible enter in  adhoc mode.
There is a problem with Kernel and/or Broadcom driver.

It is really important to understand which is the chipset for each device. Google/Vendors sometimes blocks the adhoc mode
in Kernel space, so even you change wpa supplicant you cannot enter in adhoc mode.

Cheers
Matteo

On Feb 28, 2013, at 12:28 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at guardianproject.info> wrote:

> Here's someone who claims success with adhoc on Galaxy Tab 10.1 using a custom
> wpa_supplicant:
> http://androidtablethacks.com/android-tablet-hacks/how-to-enable-adhoc-wifi-on-android-tablets/
>
> Here's someone doing it on another 4.x tablet:
> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2163363
>
> I'd be very curious to here whether this works.  If it does, that means we
> could support some 4.x devices without modifying them by including our own
> wpa_supplicant in MeshTether.
>
> .hc
>
> On 02/25/2013 01:20 PM, Hans of Guardian wrote:
>>
>> Any Android device will run olsrd, the question is really which devices support adhoc mode.  If you want to find an Android device that supports adhoc mode, the safest bet is to use an HTC device that runs Android 2.x.  As far as I have heard, no one has gotten a stock Android 4.x device to do adhoc, but you can get it working on Android 4.x by installing a custom kernel.
>>
>> As for Lil' Debi, you can use the same command line tools to setup adhoc mode as you would any Debian/Ubuntu/etc. box.  If you are not familiar with those commands (iwconfig, iw, etc), you can learn about them following Ubuntu, Fedora, etc. tutorials and it will apply to Lil' Debi on Android.
>>
>> .hc
>>
>> On Feb 25, 2013, at 3:27 AM, Matteo Danieletto wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have for my test both galaxy tab 10.1 and galaxy tab 7.0.
>>> I would like to use olsrd for my project/App, but I cannot create/join with an adhoc network.
>>>
>>> I tried to install even lil' debi, but I didn't understand how I could exploit it to join an adhoc network.
>>>
>>> I tried to substitute the wpa_supplicant with more 4/5 files, but nothing.
>>> Do you have any suggestions? Can you suggest which are the devices that work in ad hoc mode and olsrd?
>>>

>>> Thank a lot
>>> Cheers
>>> Matteo