[Commotion-dev] iOS development

Ufo ufo at rund.freifunk.net
Sat Mar 9 16:28:25 UTC 2013

some weeks ago i was looking for such apps. i was trying installing that
qual.net App, with installed olsr but failed at some point when starting
olsrd. but with some changes we should get it running at jailbrkn iphones.

another app i found was Freifunk Münster. xcode-overview screenshot
http://twitpic.com/bw8v13 and with a live-connection map:
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BAvlIG5CMAIk0gK.jpg#twimg

oh, the cloudtrax ios app looks very nice:
https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/cloudtrax/id449746699?mt=8

another idea for ios app maybe WITHOUT olsr, only for wifi-dhcp-clients
i was thinking about:
a possibility for visualize the olsr node data. (these are already
existing at olsr nodes via json -> screenshot http://twitpic.com/bvr02y
the app could provide some lifestatistics about these values, and to
"jump" from host to host should be possible. (maybe a favourite list of
nodes could be useful)

even much more wifi-data (snr to each wifi neighbor for each installed
wifi-interface) is provided via json, but only with root-login (via web-gui)
so with live-updating all THAT data in a nice gui that app could be a
very nice tool when sitting at rooftop and installing/moving antennas.

there could also be a possibility for having a favourite meshnetwork out
of a list of wordwide community networks. so we could have one nice app
with having local information about many, many different towns and areas
with mesh communities. that could be done similair to the
hackerspace-api, which is nice decentralized. of course with some other
values.  have a look: http://hackerspaces.me/

but im not an advanced ios programmer to get this running.

greetings, ufo

Am 06.03.13 16:48, schrieb Dan Staples:
> Thanks for reaching out to us, Nate!
>
> Another place to look for reference is qaul.net. They apparently have
> olsrd on their iOS client: https://github.com/WachterJud/qaul.net
>
> Dan
>
> On 03/05/2013 03:09 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> Yeah, root is non-negotiable, olsrd needs root to get a socket on port 698 and
>> change the routing table.  That's the tricky part.  But it could make sense to
>> have a Commotion iOS client in the Cydia app store, or things like that.
>>
>> .hc
>>
>> On 03/05/2013 03:05 PM, Andrew Reynolds wrote:
>>> Welcome aboard!
>>>
>>> We haven't started any iphone development yet, so the biggest step would
>>> be implementing a proof of concept in the form of a working olsrd build
>>> for iphone.
>>>
>>> We have a couple of developers on the list who are working on a mac
>>> port. You may be able to crib some of their notes. I suspect, though,
>>> that the biggest hurdle will be having to root the phone.
>>>
>>> -andrew

> Dan Staples
>
> Open Technology Institute
> https://commotionwireless.net