[Commotion-dev] Device compatibility for Mesh Tether (and Serval?)

Dan Staples danstaples at opentechinstitute.org
Sun Mar 17 21:52:51 UTC 2013

I can confirm that the Samsung Galaxy Nexus does *not* work for Mesh
Tether. Though it appears to work with Serval.

Will Hawkins and I were talking about having a discussion soon to plan
how to improve Commotion-Android's adhoc support, now that DR1 is out.
There has been past discussion on this list about how Mesh Tether,
Serval, and SPAN all do ad-hoc differently, and we should figure out
concretely how we want to move forward on this. It would be beneficial
to get everyone's thoughts and expertise on this planning. Perhaps we
can start a separate thread about that, if you think that's needed.

On 03/17/2013 04:39 PM, Andrew Reynolds wrote:
> Thanks for the prod.
>
> The Motorola Atrix 4G on 2.3.6 works consistently.
>
> -andrew
>
> On 03/17/2013 04:01 PM, Ben West wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I've been surfing the listserv archive, and pestering poor Hans, in search
>> of a handset known to be compatible with the Mesh Tether app, and similarly
>> with Serval.  I would like to get such handset myself.
>>
>> However, since Mesh Tether is known NOT to work with AndroidOS 4.x, I have
>> to locate older, used handsets, adding to the challenge.
>>
>> Many devices have been reported on this listserv as possibly working.
>> However, I believe Hans clarified that only these devices are known to work
>> fully.
>>
>>    - HTC Desire running android 2.3
>>    - HTC Wildfire running CyanogenMod 6.1.0
>>    - In general, HTC devices running 2.x (especially the Incredible)
>>    - Google Nexus One (stock 2.3.3), and *NOT* any newer Nexi
>>
>> In contrast, these devices have been reported to work somewhat, but are
>> expected to be flakey:
>>
>>    - HTC myTouch 3G (kind of works)
>>    - Samsung Tabs running Android 3.2
>>    - Samsung Galaxy S2
>>    - Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 running stock 2.3.3 (works only sometimes)
>>    - Motorola Droid/Milestone running CyanogenMod 7 (mostly works)
>>
>> Hans mentioned that although Samsung handsets appear work, and have been
>> tested to a small extent, they are expected to be quite flakey/unreliable.
>> Likewise, the Samsungs require custom kernels and/or custom kernel options
>> specified at boot, correct?
>>
>> Please respond to this thread if you have successfully tested a handset,
>> and tested it for reasonable duration of time to ensure no flakiness.  Or,
>> please respond if any of the handset mentioned above is incorrectly listed
>> as working.
>>
>> Ideally, the responses to this thread can be used to better populate this
>> list on the wiki:
>>
>> https://code.commotionwireless.net/projects/commotion/wiki/Commotion_Android_Supported_Hardware

Dan Staples

Open Technology Institute