[Commotion-dev] BRCK

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Mon May 6 20:48:53 UTC 2013

The caveat about multiple radios is that it's really not feasible to
enclose them, with internal patch antennae AND beefy TX power, in a
reasonably sized plastic housing for any price people are willing to pay.
The commercial grade multi-radio mesh APs usually rely on external antennae
and coax pigtails for this reason.  This requires expensive cable fittings,
coax cable, and external aerials, all of which drives the cost of such
devices to a multiple of what UBNT sells their single-radio units for.

UBNT's scheme for powering a Nanostation and a slave device off the same
POE supply does go a little bit towards making multi-radio "supernodes"
more cost-effective, but one can only combine two devices reliably with
this method.

If devices like the BRCK could go through more extreme cost optimization
(aka 'Muntzing'), then maybe the cost per unit becomes cheap enough that
simply chaining together two BRCKs, each operating on a different band, is
a practical way to build supernodes.

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 1:21 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <
hans at guardianproject.info> wrote:

> Looks nice.  It would be great if it had multiple wifi radios so that it
> could
> be an AP and a mesh node, or relay open wifi over a mesh, and things like
> that.
>
> .hc
>
> On 05/06/2013 01:37 PM, Tim Yardley wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I assume you have seen this already, but thought I would point it out
> just
> > in case.
> >

> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1776324009/brck-your-backup-generator-for-the-internet
> >
> > Tim