[Commotion-dev] Preventing Commotion nodes from handing out DHCP?

Paul Gardner-Stephen paul at servalproject.org
Tue May 14 21:37:22 UTC 2013

Hello,

To clarify my understanding, is the following understanding correct:

1. You want to disable issuing of DHCP leases by the Commotion kit when the
BKFiber stuff is connected. This is pretty clear.

2. When the power is off, only the Commotion kit is running.

3. When only the Commotion kit is running, you want it to hold onto DHCP
leases for long enough that service is maintained until the power comes
back on.

?

Or do you want to offer DHCP from the Commotion kit, but only when the
power is off?
Only from the same ranges as the BKFiber kit?
Only from ranges that don't conflict with the BKFiber kit?
With very short leases so that when the power comes back on you can stop
offering them, and they will expire within a few minutes, so that normal
service can resume?
You want the Commotion kit to hoard BKFiber DHCP-issued addresses for
distribution on the local network when the power goes down?

Paul.