[Commotion-dev] Standalone netcat vs busybox netcat

Will Hawkins hawkinsw at opentechinstitute.org
Tue Oct 1 16:51:02 UTC 2013

Hey all!

I was just wondering if there is a particular reason we are using
standalone netcat in the OpenWRT universe instead of the one available
through busybox?

If there is no particular reason for sticking with a standalone version,
I recommend that we move to the one available through busybox. In the
busybox version, the '-e' flag is a compile-time option that is disabled
by default. So, just by switching to this version, we could close out
issue 21: https://github.com/opentechinstitute/commotion-openwrt/issues/21

If that is not an option, disabling '-e' support in netcat will be more
difficult. Not impossible, just more difficult. Before I started on that
work I thought I would check on the easier option first!

Will