[Commotion-dev] Experience with Zabbix and triggers?

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Tue Oct 15 22:21:05 UTC 2013

I've worked with Zabbix before, but I found it rather fussy to set up in
the first place.  For monitoring, I've had better experiences using munin,
especially since munin's default graphing function is generally quite nice
out of the box.

Another detail is what local agent must run on the nodes to collect
whatever data is to be sent the dashboard.  cron-based dashboard checkin
scripts are common; ROBIN mesh used this approach and I think WLAN
Slovenia's uses it now too.

Alternatively, OpenWRT does have packages for both a local zabbix agent and
also a shell-based munin agent ("muninlite") on the node.

https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/packages/admin/zabbix
https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/packages/admin/muninlite
http://munin-monitoring.org/wiki/OpenWRT-HowTo

I was briefly looking into having muninlite to run locally on WasabiNet
nodes and talk to a munin server in the Cloud. However, I ultimately veered
away from this tool, as it requires xinetd to run continuously (chewing up
~1Mbyte of RAM).

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 4:34 PM, Preston Rhea <
prestonrhea at opentechinstitute.org> wrote:

> We are exploring Zabbix as a monitoring tool for Commotion nodes. It
> can report some useful stuff, but for it to be easier to monitor the
> status of a whole network, one would need to use triggers and group
> data aggregation to read information at a glance.
>
> Has anyone worked with Zabbix who could provide some guidance,
> especially with triggers and data aggregation on the dashboard?
>
> --
> Preston Rhea
> Field Analyst, Open Technology Institute
> New America Foundation
> +1-202-570-9770
> Twitter: @prestonrhea

Ben West