[Commotion-dev] Merged olsrd branch commotion + release-0.6.6

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Wed Apr 23 17:54:42 EDT 2014

So far, the specific atheros repeater node where I'd been having apparent
SmartGateway issues seems to be OK now after upgrading its local olsrd to
v0.6.6.1 yesterday (along with the same on the affected gateway nodes).  It
does indeed look like the SmartGateway updates have yielded improvement for
my situation.

I should point out that *option 'SmartGatewayUseCount' '1'* is needed to
tell the newer SmartGateway code to only use one gateway at a time.  The
OLSR folks are now testing out multiple gateway nodes simultaneously in
HEAD, but I believe it doesn't play wall with typical NAT configurations,
so just use one gateway at a time for now.

The rationale for the timing tweaks from Ferry are somewhat opaque to me.
The old ROBIN mesh firmware using olsrd v0.5 did deploy similar tweaks:
https://trac.assembla.com/RobinMesh/browser/trunk/robin/robin-mesh/files/etc/config/olsr

16<https://trac.assembla.com/RobinMesh/browser/trunk/robin/robin-mesh/files/etc/config/olsr#L16>config
"olsr" "interface"
17<https://trac.assembla.com/RobinMesh/browser/trunk/robin/robin-mesh/files/etc/config/olsr#L17>
      option HelloInterval
'2.0'18<https://trac.assembla.com/RobinMesh/browser/trunk/robin/robin-mesh/files/etc/config/olsr#L18>
      option HelloValidityTime
'40.0'19<https://trac.assembla.com/RobinMesh/browser/trunk/robin/robin-mesh/files/etc/config/olsr#L19>
      option TcInterval '5.0'
20<https://trac.assembla.com/RobinMesh/browser/trunk/robin/robin-mesh/files/etc/config/olsr#L20>
      option TcValidityTime
'100.0'21<https://trac.assembla.com/RobinMesh/browser/trunk/robin/robin-mesh/files/etc/config/olsr#L21>
      option MidInterval
'18.0'22<https://trac.assembla.com/RobinMesh/browser/trunk/robin/robin-mesh/files/etc/config/olsr#L22>
      option MidValidityTime '324.0'
23<https://trac.assembla.com/RobinMesh/browser/trunk/robin/robin-mesh/files/etc/config/olsr#L23>
      option HnaInterval
'18.0'24<https://trac.assembla.com/RobinMesh/browser/trunk/robin/robin-mesh/files/etc/config/olsr#L24>
      option HnaValidityTime '108.0'
Antonio from ROBIN published a the calculations behind these timings on his
wiki http://wiki-robin.meshroot.com/ , but unfortunately that site now
seems lost to the sands of time (and likewise to archive.org).

It is likely these params are unnecessary.  I was initially wanting to
mimic Ferry's suggested config to rule out problems.

I can see about making the PR to the commotion branch later today.

ben at gowasabi.net
314-246-9434