[Commotion-dev] Possibilities to include Commotion Android in OEM ROMs

Sebastián Ramírez Magrí sebasmagri at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 11:55:48 EDT 2014

On 28/04 10:01, Paul Gardner-Stephen wrote:
> Hello Sebastián,
>
> This sounds great. We at Serval have been talking with some folks with links in
> Venezuela also, and have begun work on a mesh twitter-like application that may
> also be of interest in this space.  Commotion and Serval are already fairly
> integrated.
>
> Paul.
>

> On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 1:03 AM, Sebastián Ramírez Magrí <sebasmagri at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>     Hi!
>
>     First of all thanks for your awesome work.
>
>     I'd like to go straight to a quick question:
>
>     If there were a possibility to include Commotion Android in stock ROMs by
>     an
>     OEM, would commotion still need root on runtime? or is root needed only for
>     installation?
>
>     There is actually a chance of this happenning according to conversations
>     with
>     an OEM here in Venezuela called Síragon[0]. I've been talking to the
>     mobiles
>     branch coordinator about a new project here called WifiAbierto[1] and he is
>     interested on adding mesh capabilities to their products by default.
>
>     I'd be glad to give him good news and to start a project with them on this
>     matter, of course with your kind support.
>
>     Best Regards,
>
>     [0] http://www.siragon.com/ve/
>     [1] http://wifiabierto.org
>
>     --
>     Sebastián Ramírez Magrí [sebasmagri]

Hi folks!

After meeting with the contact person at Síragon this are the key points to
work on the integration for their mobile products:

- They need to certify all software with Google's. All apps must pass CTS and
GMS tests [0].
- They need all apps to be able to run without root
- i18n will be a key issue as their market is mainly in Latin America.

They actually have a documentation platform for their build process[1] and
public repos at GitHub[2]. I handed links to commotion's project homepage,
wiki and GitHub repos.

They are pretty much willing to work on this. So, we could check this
requirements and meet again with them to define a roadmap.

Best Regards,

[0] http://source.android.com/compatibility/
[1] http://code.siragonplay.com/android-doc-odm/index.html
[2] https://github.com/siragon/