[Commotion-dev] Stack Smashing Protection on OpenWRT

Andrew Reynolds andrew at opentechinstitute.org
Fri Feb 7 16:26:44 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience with OpenWRT's stack smashing protection
toolchain option? I've been trying to compile Commotion with SSP and
haven't had any luck.

I can enable SSP in menuconfig and build the Commotion image with no
problems, but that doesn't seem to add the stack-protector flag to any
of the build options.

I've tried adding -fstack-protector, -fstack-protector-all, and
-fstack-protector-strong to CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, and TARGET_CFLAGS in the
Makefile of my test package, which contains a vulnerable buffer
overflow. In each case, the vulnerability is still exploitable.

Any idea what I'm missing?

-andrew