[Commotion-dev] Stack Smashing Protection on OpenWRT

Andrew Reynolds andrew at opentechinstitute.org
Fri Feb 7 21:11:32 UTC 2014

On 02/07/2014 03:29 PM, L. Aaron Kaplan wrote:
> On Feb 7, 2014, at 5:26 PM, Andrew Reynolds <andrew at opentechinstitute.org> wrote:
>> Does anyone have experience with OpenWRT's stack smashing protection
>> toolchain option? I've been trying to compile Commotion with SSP and
>> haven't had any luck.
>
> Yup! I regularly have the very same issue with that in the openwrt build system.
> Seems like it is not very well tested by developers. But IMHO that should be highly used.

Well that's not the answer I was hoping for :)

For what it's worth, I did just come across a separate toolchain config
file containing the line "UCLIBC_HAS_SSP is not set".

Running "make menuconfig" in the toolchain directory
(<buildroot>/build_dir/toolchain-mips_r2_gcc-4.6-linaro_uClibc-0.9.33.2/uClibc-0.9.33.2/
on our system) brought up a whole new set of features, including the
option to pass -fstack-protector.

It looks like this menu is not accessible until AFTER you've built the
toolchain. It also passes the very conservative stack-protector, not
stack-protector-all or stack-protector-strong.

Hopefully this will do the trick.

-andrew