[Commotion-dev] commotion on tp-mr3020 and other low resource devices via extroot

Chris Ritzo critzo at opentechinstitute.org
Mon Jan 20 16:31:01 UTC 2014

Greetings commotion-devs:

I've been working on proof of concept instructions for running Commotion
Router on lower resource devices with a USB port using OpenWRT's
extroot, in particular testing on the TP Link MR3020.

If you have comment on improving this test plan, please feel free to
weigh in. In progress documentation is here:
https://wiki.commotionwireless.net/doku.php?id=usb_extroot_installation

I've run into a snag which I'm hoping someone might have some ideas
about resolving. I get dependency errors when attempting to install
Commotion packages via opkg:
https://wiki.commotionwireless.net/doku.php?id=usb_extroot_installation&#install_commotion_packages_on_the_router

I assume from this error that the stock OpenWRT image needs to have
kernel (= 3.3.8-1-ccd7796d0ebc3a2e79984d7dd2214393)

At this point I am working on modifying our build server script to
attempt building an OpenWRT image without Commotion packages but with
the kernel version we're using when we build with Commotion.

Any ideas appreciated!

--
Chris Ritzo
Technologist - Open Technology Institute